Sunday, May 31, 2009

Chapter 6: Youth & Popular Music

This interesting chapter covers how young people interact with the media music. The chapter says, “Young people live on the periphery of the social mainstream with all its promise of belonging and rewards.” The argument here is whether or not collecting, sharing, and experiencing music is creative or just a product of the large corporations that facilitate the creation of the music. It is a social experience, music that is, and throughout the chapter I could relate to how the author describes how young people feel about music. It makes me wonder if I myself can even be original, or if I’m just a product of a large corporation. Music is creative, music is social, and maybe that’s all the author was trying to get at.

No comments:

Post a Comment